Saoto soup is one of the most populair soups from my home country Suriname. Saoto soup orginate from the Island of Java, which is in Indonesia. What I love about this soup is the flavors of galangal, lemon grass, Indonesian bai leaves and the fresh. Today I’ll show you how to make Saoto Soup.
Watch the video for exact detailed instructions:
Essential Saoto Soup Ingredients:
- 3 liter water
- 2 chicken thighs
- Indonesian bay leaves
- Galangal (laos)
- 1 stalk lemon grass (sereh)
- 3 stalks Parsley
- 1 big garlic or 4 whole cloves of garlic
- 3 large chicken cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon grass powder
- 1/2 teaspoon galangal powder
- White pepper
- Seasoning salt
Ingredients To Garnish Saoto Soup:
- 1 hand full of Bean sprouts (taugé)
- 1 hard boiled eggs
- 1 tbsp rice
- 1 tbsp fried vermicelli
- a small amount shredded chicken
- chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Fried onions
- Put about 3 liters of water in a pot to boil.
- Remove the outermost leaf from the lemon grass and slice both lemon grass and the galangal in smaller pieces
- Peel one big garlic or 4 cloves of garlic
- Throw the chicken thighs, the piments and a little bit of salt into the hot water
- After the chicken is done cooking. Tak it out and put a side to cool
- Now add the remaining ingredients, such as the lemon grass, galangal, Indonesian bay leaves, chicken cubes, parsley, seasoning salt, white pepper and ajinomoto.
- Let the soup boil for 10 minutes and it’s done! Make sure you tast test your soup before it’s done.
- Now shred the chicken
- Bake the chicken golden brown in oil
- To serve the soup you add in one bowl: rice, fried unions, fried vermicelli, chips, one boiled egg, bean sprouts and chopped parsley.
- Now you have your Saoto soup